The Lord's church began on the day of Pentecost in AD 30 (Acts 2). At Whistleville, we pattern ourselves after the first century church. Our congregation was organized in the mid 1900's.
In the late 1700's and early 1800's believers in the United States and elsewhere began coming out of denominationalism. This revival was called the Restoration Movement. These individuals reverted back to the Bible as their guide for worship, doctrine, leadership structure, and Christian living. Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Catholics, and others dropped man-made creeds, names, and teachings. They determined to be Christians only in name. They allowed the Bible to be its own commentary, and they dropped teachings that were contrary to Scripture and skewed by misinformed preachers. They "restored" themselves or returned to the way the early church was organized in the first century after the ascension of Christ (See the book of Acts). Soon after, these individuals offered and formed Bible churches called Christian Churches/Churches of Christ. We are currently several million strong world-wide.
Whistleville Christian Church teaches sound Biblical doctrine. We encourage others to constantly examine the Scriptures. We want people to know what the Bible has to say and to study it in proper context. We are an independent church. No church council or convention determines congregational policies and guidelines. Christ is the Head of the church. His Word gives ample instruction.
Individuals who attend Whistleville will experience worship in spirit and truth through song, prayer, communion, fellowship, preaching and teaching. There is no "show" done in the name of the Holy Spirit. We strive to have joyful, traditional/blended worship, intelligent and rational teaching from God's Word. We are family oriented, and we strive to provide a warm friendly atmosphere. People from different cultures and backgrounds attend our congregation. Many have come out of denominationalism. We are sinners saved by God's grace through faith, repentance, confession, baptism, and faithfulness. We encourage righteous living as we wait for the triumphant return of Jesus Christ our Lord. We have ministries that aid in meeting the needs of individuals and families. We have staff who are more than willing to help people grow in the knowledge of Christ, His Word, and Christianity.
1. We believe there is only one God who is the Creator.
2. We believe in the Godhead/Trinity – God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe the Bible is God’s infallible, inspired Word.
4. We believe mankind chooses to sin and falls short of the glory of God.
5. We believe our sin sets the wrath of God against us.
6. We believe God provided Jesus as our Ransom and Savior.
7. We believe Jesus died on the cross so we can have forgiveness of sins.
8. We believe Jesus resurrected on the third day and that we too can have victory over the grave.
9. We believe we are saved by grace through an obedient faith.
10. We believe repentance is a step in the salvation process.
11. We believe confessing Christ is a step in the salvation process.
12. We believe baptism for the forgiveness of sins and for the receiving of the Holy Spirit is also a step in the salvation process.
13. We believe we can have assurance in our salvation if we remain humble, contrite, and faithful before our God.
14. We believe the Holy Spirit is our helper, comforter, and counselor in our Christian walk.
15. We believe the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit were meant for the early church and diminished as the apostles died.
16. We believe Jesus is coming again for His church.